- ormakaba Holding AG (trading as dormakaba) is a global security group based in Rümlang, Switzerland, formed as the result of the merger between the Kaba Group and Dorma.
- Dormakaba Holding AG employs around 7,400 staff in over 60 countries.
In 2015, Logient was mandated to develop a proof of concept and mobile applications for the dormakaba smart lock project. These locks, which operate using cell phones (iOS and Android), are intended to replace the current card system used by hotels.
By selecting Logient, dormakaba chose a technology partner with a leading position in the industry and that is well positioned to advise them and support their transformation towards a technology-based model.
As part of this project, Logient produced the following deliverables in accordance with the business requirements of dormakaba:
- iOS, Android and Apple Watch prototypes in 2015:
- Upon check-in at the hotel, the system sends an SMS to the phone to in order to activate the smart “key”
- Multiple mobile applications since March 2016:
- iOS and Android application for the residential complex market. This application is intended to serve as a single keychain of mobile keys for multiple properties.
- New iOS and Android mobile app that targets users in commercial spaces (instead of hotels). This application seeks to supplement or replace physical access cards.
- Changes to the technical support service application (Android) to enhance the user experience.
- Smart key activation process.
- Near field communication (NFC) and Bluetooth protocol for unlocking doors.
- UX analysis as well as usability and ergonomics tests.
- Deployments the Test and Production environments during the project on Crashlytics, TestFlight, Apple Store and Google Play Store.
- Strict quality assurance processes, including code review and testing, have been put in place to ensure a functional and secure application.
- Integration of dormakaba SDKs that manage card permissions across the backend.
Thanks to the demo application developed by Logient, dormakaba was able to demonstrate to all its partners that they were able to offer a customer experience at the cutting edge of technology. Logient was therefore mandated to continue developing a full range of smart lock solutions (Keyscan, BlueSky, Kaba and LGS).
The first versions of these were delivered in 2017, allowing dormakaba to renew and enhance its service offering before the rest of the competition.